Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Big brother


Yes, I finished it.


















Really? He gets a sweater, and then she swings him and takes loads of pictures of him? When is it my turn?






Boys are so easy to please.










All you need are two brothers and a tire swing.


I also finished  "A Canticle for Leibowitz."  I ended up crying through the last couple of chapters - I do not want to give anything away, but the ending was very emotional (and then became very weird.  But not too weird.)

And let it just be on the record that I did not like the part about Abbot Zerchi's cat.

Walter M Miller Jr. does not shy away from difficult questions such as euthanasia, or the tension between science and religion in general.  I homeschool, and one is confronted with the question of religion in science every time you choose a textbook.  I cannot remember that being the case in South Africa, not when I was at school, neither at college level, nor when my daughter started school there.  But it is the case here in America.

"The esoteric gulf between Christian monk and secular investigator of Nature would surely be narrowed by a free exchange of ideas, he felt...  More communication, not less, was probably the best therapy for easing any tension."
 -chapter 19

I am still reading Understanding Exposure.  The photos on the swing was taken in snapshot mode on my camera, and color corrected and sharpened in Photoshop.  The one below was taken in manual, with manual focus:


1/100s at f/5.6, ISO 100, 22mm


It does make a difference to just turn the dial to M, but I could never capture them on the swing with the camera in manual mode.  I cannot praise this book enough, I have gone back to some of the other photography books I have been reading, and now they are starting to make sense.  Brian Peterson has a way of explaining it so that I can follow, teaching me the language so that I can understand the other sources.

I am now also listening to Simplicity Parenting on my iPod.  It is very soothing to be able to listen to Kim John Payne while you declutter.  (Or perhaps I should say, it is very stressful to read about decluttering while you should be decluttering!)

I am excited about Wednesdays; I love seeing the different projects and books.  I will soon cast on a white cardigan for Melva, and the twins need new vests...  Happy yarn along Wednesday!


15 comments:

  1. It can out so cute! I just love all the colors on the sleeves and the shades really tip the scales!
    Happy yarn along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracey, I agree - we love those shades! When it is cloudy he can wear his indoor shades outside. They do go very well with that sweater.

      Delete
  2. Sweater turned out just fantastic - I love the fit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we all know you like it snug ;) No seriously, thanks. It was the first time I adjusted a pattern, I was very nervous.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful sweater -- love the stripes! And I must check out the photo book you mention, as I always use auto instead of manual (my bad ;), and I know my photos would be much better if I'd just take the time to learn.
    Blessings,
    G

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great placement and color for those stripes. I like your 'story' on the tire swing. So true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ellen - I shamelessly copied my friend's sleeve. I hope I can post some ravelry notes soon. And yes, doesn't that story repeat itself again and again, throughout our lives?

      Delete
  5. I love the elbows on your sweater. Really fun. I'm sure it will be a popular item. My children would be telling me about how unfair it all was and its their turn next. Difficult to win!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great sweater! I love those elbow "pads!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. your sweater is gorgeous, your kids are gorgeous and emma the cat photo is too. well done! i love wednesdays now too, my husband teases me, calls is 'yawn along'. tee hee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that is so kind Lori, thanks! and oh, my husband is definitely on the same page as yours!

      Delete
  8. What a gorgeous sweater. Perfect for a little boy. Loving the sleeves!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE the sweater. The elbow stripes look fabulous, I've never seen that before. Thanks for the inspiration. :) (The stripes go so well with the red glasses too - lovely photos!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my, that sweater is a dream! I so want to make one just like that for my boy. Good you made it for the big brother so he can pass it on the others later :-)
    hehe, Lori, "yawn along"... my man will love that. I am totally in love with yarn along, nothing has ever motivated me so much to keep knitting. There is just so much inspiration and so much support!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed most of Canticle. I loved his word arrangements and how Lazerus kept walking through the book. I need to reread; I forget most of it. Its the kind of book that needs an occasional reread. My kitty looks something like yours.

    ReplyDelete