I am still reading Hertzog, but thankfully, this nightmare is over:
The last time I posted about this sweater, I was wary of the pattern because I knew it had mistakes. None other than the designer himself commented, and directed me to a forum post on ravelry. I also noted the errata.
I did everything by the book: I swatched, and blocked before I seamed. Yet I found, like everyone else who complained, that the saddle was too long. The fact that the designer insisted that the dimensions were correct interfered with my instincts. I wrote to him. (three times...) He was kind, but really, not helpful.
I will not go into details here, it is too complicated, but trust me: the errata for this pattern is wrong. If you ever knit this, ignore the schematic (the saddle should be about 2 inches shorter), and when you shape the saddle, decrease every row. Or else you will
*seam, message the designer, rip seam, frog, reknit, repeat 3 times from * before you are done.
I like the way it turned out. The recipient is at work, and I only finished the neckband this morning (it still has to be blocked), so I am wearing it. (It is 90 degrees outside.)
Melva finished the second sock among other things, but I am very happy to report that she finished a pair.
Melva is knitting Ginny's Sunday sweater (we will adapt it to fit her), and I am looking forward to knitting something smaller next, a sweater for Christian.
Joining Ginny over at her yarn along.