Saturday, December 22, 2012

Snapshots through a dirty window (Stilbaai to Kammieskroon)

























"Cry, the beloved country, ... 
Let him not love the earth too deeply. Let him not laugh too gladly when the water runs through his fingers, nor stand too silent when the setting sun makes red the veld with fire. Let him not be too moved when the birds of his land are singing, nor give too much of his heart to a mountain or a valley. For fear will rob him of all if he gives too much." 

- Alan Paton


When he wrote this, I was the unborn child.  I always wonder: did he mean me too?  (But I have not lost all, and I have gained much. I guess then that I do, or did not love too deeply? Or am I not that child?  You must be exhausted just reading this, but hey, sometimes one wonders.)

It feels so good to know the names of the trees again.  Did you see the quiver trees?

Tomorrow we enter Namibia, and I do not know yet how we will connect to the internet, once there.  I have so much more to say.

And if I am away for a while, "Well, then, "Merry Christmas, y'all!"

2 comments:

  1. My first thought: It looks a lot like West Texas ~ until I saw the unusual (were they quiver??) trees. Then, I knew it was somewhere far away.
    Thanks for sharing. I would love to see this someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, these are rustling thoughts. Maybe you do not feel the pain and fear of loss so deeply because you have moved to a new country and have found that there are beautiful rivers and trees and fields of grass there as well. And maybe you also know that it will all pass away as surely as you and I will, to be replaced (we hope and believe) for something even richer and more real.... And so you have actually learned to hold it close but not too closely. I think that is it. I think you strike (on your good days) the balance of loving this world just enough.

    I hope you had a very Merry Christmas. I didn't snow here either :) but it was chilly, close to freezing. We had a fire in the fire place. We miss you all!! Levin said the other day that when the twins get back "we may never let them leave again!" I feel the same way.

    ReplyDelete