Wednesday, August 1, 2012

No really, what about lunch?

If there are two things that feel rather silly to do in Austin, in August, it is a) knitting a wool sweater and b) starting a fall garden in almost 100 degrees.  Especially since this year, the little of winter that we have will not be spent in this hemisphere.  Yet, I visited the local farmers' market today, and came back determined to do it myself, and do it better.  I know, that is incredibly arrogant.  However, I have (once) grown peppers that looked much better than theirs.  They sold mostly herbs, and I cannot believe people buy herbs at a farmers' market - it is the only thing I can keep alive two seasons in a row.

Last month I had money to buy the book, this month (I could not wait for the 1st!), I went and bought some Garrett Juice, and one or two other things Dr Garrett recommends to keep a garden healthy and organic.

I have also been reading One Bite at a Time, (all about organizing) which led me to read Whole Foods on a Budget (the link is to her blog, all about healthy eating), and I am now pretty organized, and hungry.

I must emphasize that I am not a foodie, and that no one has ever called me a hippie.  Also, please do not call me crunchy, because I will shock you moments later with the contents of my freezer... So I really do not want to complain, but I do feel that the food is different here (in the US, and I can only speak for Texas). Vegetables and fruit do not taste the way I remember.  Bread is something completely different from what I recall, and I bake most of our bread, now.  Unfortunately, the cost of escaping from what is readily available is prohibitive.  I cannot buy produce at Whole Foods for my family of 6.  I went to the farm today, and bought: 4 pork chops, two cucumbers, one jar of pickles, and one small tub of feta cheese.  $55.  Honestly, it cannot be that healthy.  Also, when the lady asked me if she should put the chops in a plastic bag, I said "no thanks, it is in a plastic bag", since it was vacuum packed.  She just glared at me, and said that she knew it was in a plastic bag. I think she was hungry too. I really did not mean anything, I just blurted out my thought process, so I felt slightly hurt that she took it so personally.

Well, long story short, that is why I have decided to get my fall garden started, and why I am dreaming about having our own little farm , where we will possibly have to be vegetarian. See, I cannot contemplate raising anything for food, and I definitely cannot see Jacques slaughtering a pig. (I am also paging through Back to Basics, where they describe in far too much detail what has to be done.)

The sweater is coming along nicely.  It is a Fisherman's Pullover, for Martinus, and this time I knit a gauge swatch or two. I like the yarn as well, and now that I know that wool stays warm even if it is wet, I understand why one should really not knit a fisherman's sweater in cotton.

I am joining Ginny again for the Wednesday yarn along, a wonderful inspiration to keep me knitting and reading!


6 comments:

  1. Wishing you lots of success in your small steps to a healthier lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your garden. We have a lovely veggi patch (thanks to the amazing skill of my father in law) and it is so satisfying not have to by tasteless ones at the supermarket or expensive ones at the open air market (we have lots of tourists here so prices are high!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, to think that even in France the supermarket veggies are tasteless. I forget that when I lived in Germany (1994, as Au Pair), we only bought fruit and vegetables at the market. One week I was reprimanded for eating 60 DM worth of apples...
      (I know, those pesky tourists. Luckily we do not suffer from them here in Texas, phew!;)

      Delete
  3. Good luck with the fall garden. With four pairs of hands, keeping the garden watered should be a cinch.

    I dream of having a small farm, too. For now, I am resigned to my small backyard garden. Because of the rains this year, my garden produced loads of peppers, onions, garlic, tomatoes, cucumbers, beans, peas, okra, and figs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw, and felt as if I really missed the bus - last year was so dry and hot that the work I put in did not deliver much. The squash bugs devastated me, too. This year I did not do the work, and only had one tomato plant that did his best, but alas... I will follow your lead on fall gardening!

      Delete