Saturday, August 4, 2012

How to make yogurt - or maybe how not to make yogurt...


I went with the Greek yogurt, as it was recommended in the recipe. The milk was only pasteurized, and not homogenized (I have no idea what that means), so I thought my chances of success were greater with it. $5,99 - at Sprouts.
I bought the thermometer, but that was the only new equipment I needed. 

I iced the pot to keep the milk from scalding.

Add 4.5 cups milk, heat to 180 degrees Fahrenheit over medium heat.

Cool to 110 degrees Fahrenheit.

Add 1/2 cup of yogurt (starter) in a liquid measuring cup.

Add one cup of the warmed and cooled milk to the yogurt, whisk briefly.

Pour yogurt and milk mixture back int the pot, whisk.

Pour into mason jars.

Cover with lids, and put into a small ice box filled with hot tap water. (125 degrees Fahrenheit)


Leave, undisturbed, for 6-7 hours.  The longer you leave it, the tarter the yogurt.

Recipe from: 

The Homemade Pantry: 101 Foods You Can Stop Buying and Start Making

It has not been 6 hours yet.  I will update tomorrow morning....


1 comment:

  1. Isn't homemade yogurt the easiest thing? I wouldn't dream of paying the price at HEB for organic yogurt when homemade costs 1/3 of the price! I used to do mine in the crockpot.

    ReplyDelete